Monday, October 3, 2016

Oh, Nate.

Something tells me this little darling will be the source of much of my parental worrying. At least in childhood. Maybe it will shift to another child in teenage years. He's been really struggling with 1st grade this year. He worries about getting in trouble or making a mistake so he's afraid to do anything. Sometimes his stomach hurts from his nerves. For weeks he cried every day when I would walk him to class. Luckily he has agreed to say goodbye to me at the stairs like he use to last year so I think that helps him with the good byes, but he still cries most days at some point. Sometimes its at recess, or during morning work. It usually has something to do with doing something new. His teacher is not a good fit for him and I know this not only from what Nate says, but I have volunteered in the classroom. So he's left with dreading going to school everyday. I am praying with more time he will continue to adjust. I have seen some improvement, I just feel bad for him. We have met with his teacher and discussed his anxieties so I am hoping she may be able to understand Nate a little better. He is such a smart boy and extremely capable, but he's almost afraid to apply himself for fear of failure. But we are working on helping him through that. But in the meantime my heart is sad for him when he is so unhappy.

No comments:

Post a Comment