Thursday, April 2, 2015

Nate's Art Studio

Nate's art is amazing and obsessive. He spends hours upon hours each day at the table. He seems to never tire. If he watches something or gets a new book, he gets inspired to draw what he sees. I have countless drawings of his. Here are a few a snapped pictures of...

I think he drew this one back in the November or December.

The Grinch!

He used a sticker to figure out how to draw a tie fighter.

Sometimes he looks at a picture to draw it and other times he just remembers the details like the picture below. It is a transformer (Star Scream, I think?)

And this is what my dining room looks like everyday. I have to buy box of reams of paper from Costco because he goes through it so quickly.

Nate's fine motor control amazes me. He has the ability to write or draw what he wants very accurately for his age. When he wants to write a word I either spell it and he writes it out (I have an ABC chart so he just eyes the letters and writes them down - he never really traced he just went right to writing on his own - without any guide lines either) or if sometimes I just write the whole word or sentence out and he copies it. Can you tell which one is his and which one is Chance's?


 He has done this once or twice and I find it fascinating. One time he asked me how to spell jelly bean and I spelled the letters aloud while I was in the kitchen. Then when I looked at his picture this is what he had written! It was almost exactly a mirror image (the B wasn't backwards). What the heck??? He was confused when I asked him why he did it this way like he didn't realize it was wrong. Then the perfectionist in him got upset that it wasn't right, but I tried to explain to him that he managed to write it backwards so that when he showed it in a mirror he could read it. He almost always writes the correct way, left to right and in the right direction but once in a blue moon he will randomly do this. Weird!!!!

He loves to see Bradley drawing things too. One day he was giving Bradley some drawing lessons. I love how Brad just goes along with it. He LOVES any attention from his big brothers.

Here is the paper of drawings Nate helped Bradley draw.

Nate was thrilled when Bradley started drawing tie fighters. Maybe I have another artist prodigy on my hands!

His preschool teacher the other day was telling me how amazed she is at Nate's attention to detail. She said she hopes I pursue this with him and said that in 19 years (of teaching preschool) she has never seen anything like it! I was quite shocked at that!

No comments:

Post a Comment