Sunday, April 20, 2014

The Norris household has fallen ill...

...in a major way! This stomach bug meant business. Let me just start off by saying none of my kids have ever had what I would call a stomach flu. Luke is the only one that has thrown up and both times it was like 2 or 3 times within a couple hours and then it was over. 

So Thursday morning Nate started it off by throwing up while I was holding him on the couch. I was not expected. I tried to keep him quarantined up in my room for awhile. Every time I would think he was done throwing up he'd do it again. I let him come downstairs later in the day and thought he was finally over the nausea until he threw up his dinner all over my carpet. Ugh.

So the next day he seemed to be feeling better and I was on edge waiting for the next person to go down, though part of me was holding out some hope that maybe Nate's thing was just a fluke and not a real virus. That hope came to a crashing end when Bradley threw up his dinner (mac 'n cheese) all over his crib about an hour after I put him to bed Friday night. At the time Chance was on his way to Toys R Us to do some birthday shopping. I called him and asked him to come back. By the time he got back I was still cleaning up the huge mess and trying to soothe Bradley. I told Chance to hold Bradley. About 5 minutes later Chance says to me, "I want to help you as much as I can, but I'm not feeling very good." Another one bites the dust. 

So while Chance is off puking his guts out in our room. I'm holding Bradley in his chair praying that I don't get sick and that Luke makes it through the night. Well at about 10:45pm I hear Luke open his door crying. The poor thing is holding puke in his hand and trying to get into the bathroom that Chance is currently in. I put Bradley down and run out to him to usher him into the other bathroom where he proceeds to finish puking into the toilet. I am still amazed that he managed to get out of the top of his bunk bed and make it to the toilet without getting puke anywhere! Way to go Luke! So in case you are counting we have three people puking in one night in our house! I realized pretty quickly that there was no chance of me getting any sleep that night. It was a terrible night, but not because I wasn't sleeping. It is the worst watching your children be so miserable and not being able to help them. I was going back and forth between Luke and Bradley all night. I would be with one trying to console them when I would hear the other one start to cry (or cough). Oh and did I mention that Nate was a mess too cause he was freaking out about being in his room by himself? I finally just left his door open with his the closet light on. Poor Luke had to sleep on the floor in the hallway and Bradley slept in his chair. Though there wasn't a whole lot of sleeping going on anyway. I don't know how many loads of laundry I ended up doing that night, but the washer was going all night. I was also tracking the throwing up and water intake on my phone. The boys together threw up at least 35 times that night. :(

 The next day we were all exhausted (except for Nate who was experiencing some major anxiety and didn't want me out of his site).  I was still on duty as Chance was still recovering from a pretty horrific night himself. He was still not feeling great that day and when he finally watched the boys that evening so I could take a shower and then went back upstairs to rest again I had to break the news to him that sick or not, he was taking over because it was my turn. Yep, the stomach virus had claimed it's final victim. Luckily I didn't get it as bad as Chance, Luke and Bradley.

The next day we were all still recovering. I think each boy had a turn in bed with me for a nap at one point. Poor guys. 


Even though it was awful having everyone have the stomach flu in a span of 3 days, I did get to watch a random movie on tv with Luke in my bed. It was actually kind of special in a weird way. Now every time I see the movie "Bedtime Stories" I will think of Luke and my "sick day" together. 

Most of us recovered pretty well. Bradley had some diarrhea for a few days, but poor Luke's stomach was sensitive for so long! Just when I would think he was in the clear, he would throw up again. He started throwing up on a Friday and threw up for the last time on the following Thursday! He barely ate for a whole week and lost quite a bit of weight. :(

So glad everyone is finally healthy. After tons of disinfecting and a professional carpet cleaning I finally feel like I can be in my house without feeling like I'm living in a cesspool! 

No comments:

Post a Comment