It's weird that Luke is already a year older than 5. But in some ways, it doesn't feel weird. It seems right. He seems so grown up these days. He is very independent and can not only do most things for himself, he helps me out with his brothers. He rarely gives me the meltdowns that when he was younger seemed constant! I love that, because I really feel like our relationship is less combative and more fun and loving! Every parent probably feels this way, but I don't care I still think I have a pretty special little boy. He is SO unique! And I love it. He has an imagination that is so entertaining. He still loves to pretend to be a character. He can't watch a show without dressing the part. In fact I have been meaning to count/document how many costume changes he does in a day. It's crazy. But at least he can take the clothes on and off himself!
He is very sweet and thoughtful and is very sensitive to people's feelings especially mine! I can't remember if I already told this story in an earlier post, but one time we were laying in bed and he was talking about Chance and I having a "nicest" contest and he said, "Well, actually Mom, you wouldn't win because Dad is nicer" (which did hurt my feelings a bit). I just stared at him a little in shock (I mean, REALLY? There's NO contest???) And he looked back at me and whispered, "I shouldn't of said that." He then went on to backtrack about how it wasn't true and I was really nice. I couldn't decide if I wanted to laugh or cry! But I love that he cares about my feelings. And others for that matter. We have lots of talks about trying to not "brag" to friends or say things that might make them feel bad. And he totally gets it. He comes up with his own scenarios. Like one time when I was having to explain to him that one of his friend's parents were divorcing (and the Dad had moved out of state) and how he should be really careful about what he says to his friend and he responded, "Like not bragging about MY Dad?"
He comes alive with questions and his mind starts racing at bedtime. My mom use to say that it was the "magical hour" when I would start blabbing at night. Well it's safe to say that Luke has inherited the "magical hour". He has so many funny and adorable thoughts that run through his mind.
He still has endless energy, though I have seen a lot of growth in maturity in this past year. Though his energy is less exhausting and more fun! I love how excited he gets for things. If you want a great reaction, this kid will give it to you! He can actually sit and color for periods of time now! It is usually snakes, which he is OBSESSED with! So lets see... Loves to play the villain and loves dangerous/poisonous animals. You would think this kid would be terrible but he is super sweet! It's like he has an alter ego!
The older he gets the more I realize how much I don't deserve this amazing little boy. He gives me so much love and showers me with so many compliments. There is just way too much to say about him!


No comments:
Post a Comment