Friday, August 3, 2012

Dr. Shlafer's

So it's time for Bradley's two month check-up and since the boys are behind on their vaccines, they needed to get some shots too. Oh how they fear the shots. Here is us breaking the news to Luke that he had to get a shot at the doctors back in May during Nate's 2 year check-up.

So I had to break the news to Luke and Nate, yet again. I always try to tell Luke (whether it be Doctor, Dentist, Haircut) after he's at least had breakfast in his belly. But this morning, the little stinker says, "Mom, what are we doing today?" I don't like to lie to him, but I do sometimes try to avoid the subject, which I did. However, Luke never let's anything go, so he continues with, "Mom, what are we doing today? Doctor's Appt?" Pretty random, though he's been known to ask that question in the past just so that he can be assured, that he does NOT have a doctor's appointment that day. Well as you can imagine, I had to tell him, he melted down, though Nate was unphased. I told them both they would need shots, but they would get a treat after words to which Nate responded, "I want a shot RIGHT NOW!"

Chance had to work that day, so I called in reinforcements, aka: My Mom. She was kind enough to accompany us with all our Norris drama. Chance felt really bad because he knows how upset Luke gets when he has to go to the doctor, so he wrote them a letter telling the the boys a story about when he went to the doctor when he was a kid. The boys love there stories, though I Luke would not calm down enough to hear me read it to him until we were in the van. Once I get him into the van he normally leaves the meltdown stage and enters the acceptance stage. He calms down, and starts talking himself into it. Telling me he's going to be brave, etc. 

When we got to the doctor the fear starts to creep up in him and he does his best to fight back tears. In fact we arrived and he tearfully tried to tell the receptionist the "funny" story of how Nate said he wanted his shot right now. There was a collective "awwwe" coming from the reception area because it was so sad. They could tell he was really scared.

Well, the appointment went fine with Dr. Shlafer, I had them give Nate is shot first, which he took like a champ by the way! Luke tried to be brave but I pretty much had to restrain him. The poor boy had to get THREE shots! So traumatic. Once he was done he does his nervous laughter, because he is so relieved. Then you couldn't shut that boy up! He was mister chatterbox to the nurses and to Dr. Shlafer, who came back in to see how the boys were doing. He sang a silly song to them, which the boys love to sing now! And he gave Luke much more bits to add to his arsenal of Dr. Shlafer impressions. They each got a free kids meal from Red Robin too! How cool is that. Guess the nurses felt sorry for them!

Did I mention they were in their scrubs?

No comments:

Post a Comment