Wednesday, May 17, 2017

The Habit is broken

I have been fretting about how in the world we were going to get Bradley to break his finger sucking habit. He has done it since he was a baby. 

I considered painting yucky tasting stuff on his thumb, putting a sock on his hand but I knew these were all going to be really frustrating for him. One day I stumbled across this video on YouTube and decided to show it to him. Well, it traumatized him and he hasn't sucked his fingers since. Half way through the video he said, "Uh...  this is kind of creeping me out." I felt so bad, I turned it off but the damage (or effect) was already done. He sat there for a second and said, "I'm won't suck my fingers anymore." It was so sad. :(




Then I had to assure him that that his teeth were going to be fine because he started stressing about all the time he had sucked his fingers in the past. It was really strange and completely shocking that he quit cold turkey, but he did! It was mid-April when he quit and he hasn't sucked his fingers since.... except.... when Mom was gone for the weekend at Seabrook. He was asleep so not really his fault. But he hasn't done it again. 

It's weird when you want a habit to stop because you stress about the germs and the harm to the teeth, but it still makes you sad to see them give up such a comforting thing. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment