It dawned on me that I am half way through my years of raising Luke. How crazy is that! I don't let my brain hang out too long in that realization. Oh, Luke, Luke, sweet, sweet Luke. What would I do without this boy? Full of forgiveness for my faults and compliments to build up my self-esteem. Isn't that suppose to be the parent's job? But yet this is what he does for me. He's wise and thoughtful beyond his years. I mean really. He understands that harsh words hurt and that kind words give life. That could probably be this boys motto. He is kind to others, if he has ever put down another kid I don't remember it. He has his moments with his brothers of course, but even the example he shows for his brother's touches my heart daily. He knows how much his approval means to Bradley so whenever Bradley has something to show or tell Luke, the reaction Luke gives to his little brother just melts your heart and builds little Bradley's confidence at the same time!
"Oh Wow Bradley!!! That is sooo cool!"
He does his best to put Nate's anxieties at ease but most of all shows him love and support. If Nate is having a rough morning I know that I can always count on Luke to walk Nate to class if I wasn't able to. I know Luke would handle Nate with care.
He gets angry if anyone makes a comment that might hurt his brother's feelings.
"Mom, I get really angry when people say things like 'you're short for your age' to Nate or Bradley."
He often asks me if I am sad that he is growing up. I tell him no, because I like him at every age. And it is so true. I loved him when he was little and cute but I also love the creative, funny and sweet 9 year old he is too. I love his mind in all it's inquisitiveness.
He is passionate about entertainment. There is no other way to put it. He wants to be a screen writer, director, producer, actor. You name it! He wants to do it all, and kid I believe you will! I think his 3rd grade teacher said it best when she told me, "I think this boy is going to change the world someday." I couldn't agree more! Happy Birthday Luke! You make your parents so proud!
His birthday was on a Monday this year so he got to open presents in the morning.
Then we had a dinner of his choice: sausage scramble, and cupcakes for dessert!
This year I suggested to the boys that we do a "Family Fun Day" for each boy not their birthday in lieu of a birthday party with friends this year. Since we were living in Sultan (and in the duplex) I didn't think it would work very well trying to get kids out here to a party. The boys all agreed because they are sweethearts. So for Luke's family fun day he got to choose what we did for the day. I gave him a few suggestions and he picked what he wanted (all within budget of course!)
First we tried out Elevated Sports for the first time. I thought it would be right up Luke's alley and he loved it!
He loved having a place he could practice his flips and crazy moves!
In fact all the boys loved it. It took a little convincing to get Nate to try it as he was worried he would get in trouble for doing something wrong.
After Elevated Sports we went to the Woodland Park Zoo where the boys mostly play and do very little animal viewing but that's okay with us! They had a blast and we ate lunch in the big field. The boys played "Wild Boys" and pretended they were orphans. They also made a pact for the day that they would play together all day. I didn't get any pictures which I always regret later but sometimes its nice to just experience it first hand.
After the spending most of the day at the zoo we picked up a pizza and a movie and headed home for a movie night with popcorn and chocolate chip cookies! We watched "The Secret Life of Pets." It was such a fun day! Now to convince the boys to do Family Fun Days instead of parties every year!
No comments:
Post a Comment