Thursday, August 6, 2015

Luke's Reaction

Never a dull moment in this household. On Saturday, we were all supposed to go to a Mariner's game with Chance's parents. That morning Bradley through up several times so I stayed home with him and Chance went with the older boys. Bradley ended up feeling better after a morning nap and was fine the rest of the day. 

So that night after we had all went to bed, Luke came into our room saying he wasn't feeling good and his stomach hurt. Oh great, I thought as I grabbed a big "puking" cup to have on the ready. He laid in our bed and tossed and turned restlessly for probably about an hour. With each toss and turn I would grab the cup ready to go, but he never threw up. Finally I noticed him start to itch himself, especially his head, so I thought he may be breaking out in hives so I took him to the bathroom to inspect him. He did have some hives, but I was shocked to see his lower lip was VERY swollen! I had know clue what to do or why his lip was swollen so I started to google. ANAPHLAXIS is what kept coming up. Seek immediate medical attention. Chance and I decided to call 911 for advice really. Should we take him to the ER? The dispatcher said they would send an aid car out to take a look at him. By the time they got here the swelling had gone down but they thought he had some kind of mild allergic reaction. He had some of Chance's fish at lunch time, but we couldn't think of anything else it could be. Of course this happened on a Saturday night so we had to wait till Monday to see his Pediatrician. So Chance and I had a lot of anxiety checking on this boy at night. "Does his lip look swollen to you?" We are really good at psyching each other out.


We ended up taking him to the Pediatrician on Monday who recommended we take him to an Allergist. He was supposed to get an allergy test, but the Doctor felt pretty confident that it was NOT an anaphylactic reaction and that it was a reaction he had to a virus (most likely what Bradley had). This was a huge relief as I was starting to imagine a very stressful future worrying about him coming into contact with some food allergen or having to have an epi-pen for him! The doctor says he could react the same way again to a virus, but it shouldn't be a worse reaction. I really hope it doesn't happen again! Stressful!!

No comments:

Post a Comment