Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Nursemaid what??

While I was at Curriculum night at Luke's school I received a text from Chance telling me to get home as soon as I can. I knew something wasn't great. When I got back I found out that while playing in the living room, Nate stepped on Brad's arm. Chance was in the kitchen and heard some kind of a popping sound so we were worried that he could have broken something since he cried quite a bit and handed moved his arm in over an hour. I packed him up and took him to the walk-in clinic. He was surprisingly calm and very well behaved. Until of course the Doctor had to examine him. He thought it could be a "nursemaid elbow" and he tried to manipulate it - unsuccessfully while poor Bradley cried. Then we took him for some x-rays, which was also very painful. The x-rays did not show any breaks. The doctor tried one more time to see if he could put his elbow back in place. I was convinced it was his wrist because of the way Brad was acting when you would touch his wrist. Here he is at the walk-in with me. Poor guy. :(

He was pretty calm once I brought him home. I gave him a bath and he would only cry when I had to move his arm. When I laid him down in his crib that night, he tried once to put his fingers in his mouth but the cried in pain and gave up. It was late and he was tired so he fell asleep pretty quick. Later that night he woke up crying and it felt like he cried the rest of the night. It was terrible. Not only was he in pain, but he couldn't bring his fingers up to his mouth and soothe himself. It was so sad. I felt very helpless as he refused to take any motrin. I was determined to get him into see a Orthopedic Specialist the next day. The earliest appt I could get wasn't until 4pm so I made him a make-shift sling which seemed to help him get around a little better as most of the morning he just sat on the couch.

As the day went on, he seemed to get more comfortable playing, but would wimper if he bumped his arm at all.

I was still convinced he had done something to his wrist. I told the Doctor how Bradley was acting and the doctor right away grabbed his arm, did a little movement, Bradley began to cry and he told me that he felt the elbow go back into place and that it was a nursemaid elbow. I was hesitant to believe that his wrist was fine, so the doctor said he would give us a little bit for Bradley to calm down and see if he would start to move his arm again. Within 20 minutes my boy was happy again and starting to use his arm more and more.

I knew that all was well for sure when I was driving him home and looked in my rearview mirror and saw this! I was so relieved that my baby was all better! Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment