Monday, May 18, 2015

Maui!!

Well this is going to be a long one! So the Norris Family was treated to an amazing vacation to Maui to celebrate my parents 40th Anniversary with them! What an amazing blessing. We had such an unforgettable vacation and we are so very very grateful to my parents for making these wonderful memories possible! Thank you Mom and Dad!!


Day 1: Travel Day

We were all so excited to begin our Maui vacation! We knew it would be a long travel day (though I didn't realize it would be as long as it was!)
On our way to the airport! The drive seemed to go by pretty quick, maybe because we were checking in on everyone else's status (a common practice throughout the trip).

Waiting to board the airplane. The boys loved the adventure of riding all the escalators and train to get to our gate. Everyone did really well. We all traveled as a big group which was fun and it was nice to have some extra hands to help carry bags or Brad!

The plane ride was LONG, but everyone still did great. Chance and I kept busy handing out snacks, games, books and coloring supplies. 

Bradley finally took a nap for us towards the end!
Once we arrived in Maui we got our minivan rental and headed to Costco to stock up on some food. Then we all drove to the condo. The boys were VERY anxious to get there at this point. Lots of pent up energy ready to be expelled! We got our bags up to the condo and by then it was dinner time so I cooked up a Costco pizza and we had our dinner on the Lanai.

Even though it was about 9:30pm Washington time (an hour past their bedtime!) the boys were begging to go to the beach. After all, they had been traveling for about 13 hours now! They were not alone in wanting to get to the beach. The Simon family and my parents and Clint all came down to join too that night. We wasted no time getting the boys on "Maui time". Luke and Nate were so excited to play in the warm water. It was a nice evening and Bradley was loving the sand (but not too interested in getting in the water yet).


Day 2: Maui Ocean Center and South Maui

Even though we were up really late the night before, the boys were up bright and early (about 6am Maui time). That morning was a bit windy. As I got us packed up for the day Chance took the boys outside to play flyer's up. There was a large grassy area that our condo overlooked so I was able to wave at them from the condo. 

We decided to take the boys to the Maui Ocean Center that morning. My parents and the Simon family joined us too.  

It was a pretty cool aquarium. Lots of cool reef fish and sea life to see. The boys loved the turtles and the baby hammerhead sharks. They had a really cool exhibit where you were surrounded by glass and various sharks, fish and sting rays swam all around you.


After we were done with the aquarium Chance and I wanted to revisit our favorite beach from our Honeymoon "Big Beach". It's not super "kid friendly" because the waves break pretty big and powerful on the shoreline, but it is soooo beautiful we just had to see it again! Plus there was a nearby beach called "Black Sand Beach" that is great for spotting turtles. We packed the boys up and ate lunch in the van while we drove South. When we arrived at "Black Sand Beach" I was putting sunscreen on the boys. Chance and I were back at the nearby van and Luke and Nate had headed over to the shore and ran back to tell us they saw a seal. I thought may be they had mistaken a sea turtle for one, but when we all walked down together we discovered they were right! There were signs around it asking people to keep their distance and not to disturb the "Hawaiian Monk Seal". Apparently they some times come and rest on the beach.

You can't really see from this picture but we did spot a few turtles at the beach. The boys were really excited to see them.


After that we got back in the van and drove down the road a bit to "Big Beach". Nate didn't want to go because he was afraid it would be dangerous (Chance and I had prepared them that they wouldn't get to play in the waves much here). Bradley was ready to check it out!

You can see where this beach gets it's name!

I love this beach so much! So beautiful! Really fun to watch the waves. Nate loved it once he realized  it wasn't dangerous if he just didn't go in the ocean. He loved having running away from the waves. Of course Chance was right there making sure they didn't get too close.

After that we loaded back into the van and drove back to West Maui. Bradley fell asleep and ended up taking a 2 hour nap in the car while we drove around. We stopped in Lahaina to get the boys a shave ice. Chance and I did it in shifts. He dropped Luke and I off first (I would have taken Nate too, but he fell asleep right before we got there).

When Nate woke up, I drove Brad around while Chance got Nate a shaved ice. We then headed back to the condo. By then it was getting close to dinner time. We ate dinner and then headed out to the beach in front of the condo again for the evening. It started raining just a little bit and we were treated to a beautiful rainbow!
 

It was such a treat getting to watch these boys play on the beach! Paradise!


Day 3: Beach and Magic Show

On our 2nd morning we woke up to tropical rain. It was really cool! Every morning the first thing I would do when we were awake was open up the Lanai doors so we could feel the beautiful fresh air. I loved the feeling of the open air it was awesome! Even when it was raining I loved the misty tropical rain! 

Since the sun wasn't out yet we decided it would be a good opportunity to go check out my parents condo. We have heard about it and seen pictures so many times I wanted to see it in person! It did not disappoint the view was absolutely gorgeous!

After that we met up with everyone for a fulfilled day at the beach! It was so fun being together with my whole family! 

Bradley just LOVED playing in the sand!

And Chance tried out his boogie boarding skills! What a beach hottie!

We were trying to wear the boys out because Trisha was going to be watching them that evening so Chance and I could go on a day. We opted to skip Brad's nap so he would hopefully fall asleep early that night. Well, apparently we wore them out a little too much. After the beach we took them to play in the pool and Bradley was falling asleep in the pool!

Poor little tired boy. I had to snuggle him for a little catnap - poolside of course! It was so relaxing! Nothing like snuggling your little guy while your other kids our playing in the pool!

Did I mention it had a waterside?!!!

Once they were good and tired from a long day in the sun, we took them back to the condo and I baked up a pizza before Chance and I headed out to our magic show. I didn't want Trish to have to watch the boys for too long so we opted for take out. We really cut it close! It took awhile to get our food so I gobbled it up on the way to Lahaina and Chance had about 3 minutes to eat his in the parking lot! Then we raced to the theater and made it just in time for Chance to get his Pina Colada and then head in to sit down.

It was a pretty entertaining show. And Chance and I really appreciated Trisha and Lane letting us have a night away!


Day 4: Napili, Oneloa and BBQ

Good Morning! No matter how late the boys would stay up the night before they were always ready to get up bright and early! Some where between 5:30am-6:30am. One or two would make their way to our bed during the night and then they all would end up there in the morning!

Breakfast on the Lanai! 

The entire family decided to try out Napili Beach that morning. Really pretty! Water was really clear. There was rocky area where we walked over to spot more turtles. This beach was really nice, though the waves were pretty mild. The boys enjoy a little more action!

After Napili, we gave the boys some food while we drove up to see another beach Nate's preschool teacher had told us about. Oneloa Beach wasn't crowded at all, but by then it was pretty breezy so we didn't stay. Just wanted to check it out.


We headed back to the condo to give Brad a nap and give the boys a little break. They were getting pretty worn out! They were very content taking a little coloring break. 
Nate found a book at the condo and was inspired to draw it.

And of course more relaxing snuggling!

After Bradley woke up went back to the beach for a bit and then hit the pool. We were only going to go for a little dip because the whole family was going to meet downstairs for a BBQ. We ended up getting a little side-tracked because Nate decided to take his floaty off and do practice his swimming! He would go back and forth a 5-6 feet between Chance and I or he would swim to and from the side of the pool. He was trying his hardest! He wouldn't get too far before he would start to panic a bit and I would have to grab him but he kept at it!

Then later that day we all ate downstairs and then the cousins all played on the grass. They loved playing around in the dark. Especially with Uncle Clint!


Day 5: Kaanapali and Kardashian Dinner

Once again we were up bright and early in the morning. It was a little too early to hit the beach so we decided to take a walk around along the beach walk. Mom and Dad met up with us and snapped a few photos for us. This is us in front of the pool. Nate was in a bad mood so he was not interested in posing for a picture, but you can see his feet behind Chance.

Once we got to the beach he perked up!

When Chance and I decided to pose for a picture the boys decided this was their chance to make a run for it.

"Don't go in the water!" we said, "you don't have your swim clothes on!"

Guess how long that lasted? Just couldn't resist.

After that we went back the condo and got ready to go check out Kaanapali Beach! As we drove in the car Bradley decided to serenade us with a little Les Miserables.

Kaanapali was beautiful that day! We parked on the South end of it, so we walked quite a distance to find the spot we wanted. The boys were loving the waves!

And of course Bradley was loving the sand!

He found a cool area he wanted to keep jumping off of.

And he would just roll around in it! He said he was playing Transformers.

My wrecking ball's paradise.

We spent a couple hours there and then drove back to the condo for another much needed break/rest. Brad took a nap while the boys colored or looked at books. 

Since Bradley was napping, I volunteered to watch Amy for a little bit so Trisha could get some things done. She loves hanging out with her Norris boys!


She was cracking me up because she kept finding and bringing shoes to me and then grabbing my feet to try to put them all. Guess that's what little girls do! I wouldn't know! Haha.

When Bradley woke up we took the boys out for some Gelato!


At that point it started to rain which was fine because the whole family was meeting for dinner. Trisha and Lane offered to treat the whole family to a dinner at the Castaway Cafe - Kardashian style! LOL

Dinner was delicious and since everyone was wearing something other than our usual beachwear we decided it was a great opportunity to take some photos! First I snapped some of the older cousins.

But then we needed to get Amy in there too! I call this one "How many hands can touch Amy at once?"

They all love little Amy so much!

Norris Family!

Us with the happy Anniversary couple!

What a blessed group we are. We all actually like each other!

After dinner, Luke and Wyatt performed a skit for us that they created all on their own!

Grandpa Jim and Bradley enjoying the performance.

That night the kids met their Simon cousins downstairs to play on the grass again while I baked some cookies. They all came back up for a cookie and some hide and seek. Then it was bedtime once again.


Day 6: Good Old Family Beach Fun!!

We were up early again so we headed into Lahaina to get a ukelele for Chance. We were too early apparently because the stand he had eyed earlier in the week when we got shaved ice wasn't open. Since I didn't want to make it a wasted trip I got some overly priced tee shirts for the boys as a souvenir. Oh, and I also got to buy a $13 ornament Bradley broke in one of the shops! 

Since it was our last full day in Maui, everyone was ready to maximize their playtime. We loved getting to see all the other beaches, but today were staying right at the condo and spending as much time as we could at the beach! This was probably the funnest day yet. Everyone spending hours together. It was so much fun!

Grandma and Grandpa helped the kids build a volcano (I think)!

Grandma passing out snacks so the big kids (adults) could play in the water!

Guys playing smash ball! This was super fun!

After hours in the sun it was break/nap time once again!

Amy came over to hang with us too! 

Check out this awesome condo we got to stay in and the beautiful view!

After Brad woke up we went back out to the beach and pools. No pictures or videos, because sometimes you just have to put the phone/camera away and enjoy what's right in front of you! By the time we had finished dinner that night it was dark again. But the boys still wanted to go back down and play with their cousins on the grass. So once again they all came back up for a cookie and some hide and seek for the last night at the condo!


Day 7: Goodbye Maui!

We needed to be out of our condo by 11:45am. Since we are all up early anyway I scheduled in one last trip to the beach. We couldn't just leave without saying goodbye! Mom and Dad came down to say hello and Chad brought Wade and Wyatt to play one last time too.


Bradley and Nate (and I) worked together to build one last sand castle.



I will treasure these memories for the rest of my life.

One last swim.

And our long week of paradise comes to an end. This is the boys on the way to the airport. Do you think they had fun?

The flight home went okay. Bradley was overtired and wired so he wouldn't sit still but the other boys did pretty good. They mostly watched movies with Wyatt.

Bradley was pretty funny when we were landing in Seattle. He kept saying, "Our we yanding??" over and over. We finally got home about 1:30am Washington time!

This week was one of the best weeks of my life and I will treasure it forever. I am so grateful to my parents for blessing my family with this amazing gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment