One was a milestone and now five feels like another one. It's the end of Luke's preschool age era. I feel like I should be receiving some type of award for getting to this point! :) My first born is 5 years old. It feels like that one day that changed my life forever was so long ago. But time marches on and here we are. The day started like this...
Then it was time for presents and chocolate chip pancakes in the "birthday chair".

He went to preschool that day. Chance had the day off so I stayed and helped out that day. He was really excited to have me there. He kept looking over at me and giving me a big smile. Though they didn't celebrate his birthday that day, they did do it a few days earlier. He was the "super star" and I brought cupcakes for him to share with his classmates. Here he is with Owen. Of course!

He went to preschool that day. Chance had the day off so I stayed and helped out that day. He was really excited to have me there. He kept looking over at me and giving me a big smile. Though they didn't celebrate his birthday that day, they did do it a few days earlier. He was the "super star" and I brought cupcakes for him to share with his classmates. Here he is with Owen. Of course!
Then Chance took him and Nate to the playground and then we took them to Jump, Rattle and Roll. After that we went to Red Robin. The boys were pretty tuckered by then. The staff seemed him the birthday song and he acted really shy and embarrassed. It was pretty funny!
When Luke was a baby it was hard for me to imagine him being an "older brother" but he has turned into an awesome older brother. He has a HUGE heart. Very perceptive and picks up on emotions well. He is very sensitive to all those emotions and wears his on his sleeve. No. His fingertips. It takes almost nothing to set him off. Nate saying he is "Buzz" when Luke wants to be him, or Nate saying he wants to play with one of Luke's favorite toys. It doesn't take much and once he's lost it, he's gone for awhile and there is no talking him down. It is also a blast to give him good news though. He gets so excited, not to mention REALLY sweet. He says some of the sweetest things to me when he is happy. "You're the best Mom in the whole world", "You look pretty today Mommy". "I love you all the way to heaven". Oh, the list of Luke quotes could go on. He's learning the art of manipulation which is at times annoying but pretty funny as well. If Nate wants to do something Luke does not want happening he tries every angle he can to convince Nate that he in fact really wants to do what Luke wants to do. Nate's pretty clever and though I don't think he falls for it, he often will go along just to appease Luke. Did I mention he is relentless when he wants his way? I think sometimes Nate just doesn't want to deal with the wrath or the persistence from Luke so he just gives in. And oh, the energy. It is endless. I call him my gross motor kid, because that's about all he cares to do. He finally has started to color and write letters more, but not for very long and then it's back to jumping and climbing and running on anything and EVERYTHING. When Luke is home, it feels like this house is closing in on us because the boy just can't be contained! Trying to stop him is futile. This kid needs wide open spaces like it's nobody's business. He is always "bored" unless we have some place to go. He is rarely shy anymore - far cry from his early years, though he doesn't usually take the leader role when he isn't really close friends with the other kids. He gets "a little nervous" at times. Especially medical and dental appointments. Though he's getting a braver. He is still a Daddy's boy, but it seems he is starting to recognize that his Mommy likes to feel needed too. Again, HUGE heart. He's got great questions, though I wish I had better answers. He asks some tough ones! Like when Chance is telling the boys at the dinner table that God blessed us with food to eat and some kids don't have much food to eat. Luke promptly follows up with, "Why? Did God forget about them?" He loves to hear stories from his Dad and is starting to tell some of his own. Nate and his newest thing is to narrate what the character they are pretending to be is doing. "Then Captain Hook takes Jake's sword" (so Luke then takes Nate's sword). Still the ultimate character actor.
Skeletor
Toy Taker (Rudolph movie)
Bully (Race For Your Life Charlie Brown)
Too Tall (Berenstein Bears)
Evil Lynn (He-Man) (He insisted I make him a costume)
Buzz Lightyear
And his favorite... Captain Hook
Those are just a few of the many. Chance and I are wondering when to start him in some drama activities, because I can't imagine that not being a part of his future in some way! He loves to be the center of attention. Now where did he get that from? Luke at times can be a lot to handle, but when I get the rare opportunity to be one on one with him, I am so entertained by his conversation! Him and I are a lot a like I think, which is why I get such a kick out of his entertaining abilities. He loves it when I jump in with the role playing. So much to love. Hope I can remember how much he cracks me up and melts my heart at this age. Love you Lukey!








No comments:
Post a Comment